Monday, August 9, 2010

I Done Some Figuring...


We just finished eating breakfast for dinner and it was good. That always seams funny to me for some reason. It never tastes the same as it does on Sunday mornings though.

Just in case you were wondering, they named the goose, Duck. For real, Duck! Now when they go outside they yell "Here Ducky Ducky" and the goose comes a running and a honking. That's funny right there!

Being able to check two projects off the always growing to do list had me really excited that forward progress was being made. That same feeling faded fast when I started to plan for the next phase of the fence.
The horses have just about eaten all they can in the back yard and the one thing I did not want to happen is fixen to happen, buying hay. If I could get the next section of fence done, there is enough grass to at least keep them to winter.
Here is the project breakdown if you are interested:
  • 2 - rolls of non-climb horse wire = $485.00
  • 41 - T-posts = $205.00
  • 15 - 6" wood posts = $180.00
  • 8 - 3" wood posts = $72.00
  • 1 - 4' gate = $89.00
  • 1 - 12' gate = $140.00
  • 15 - bags of concrete = $55.00
  • 1 - roll of slick wire = $0.00 (on hand)
  • miscellaneous = $50.00
Total project cost = $1276.00

It is to the point where I am out of material on hand so now most everything will have to be purchased. If I had the time I could probably wheel and deal or scavenge some of the material but time is not on my side right now.
The good news is I plan to make another run down to the old farm Thursday because my brother found some usable stuff laying around I could use. I also plan to get the kids old trampoline frame so I can make a makeshift horse shade that will later be tuned into a hoop house to be placed over one of the gardens this winter to extend the growing season.

Side Note:
The wife wanted me to tell yall she has now moved up to gallon sized ice blocks for the rabbits. She was using 1 liter bottles for a while but they did not stay frozen very long so now she freezes milk jugs and they stay cold for most of the day. The rabbits love them.

katmom16 is the newest member of the Modern Day Redneck family. Howdy and welcome to the group. If you need a Redneck point of view on anything just let me know. Thanks for joining the blog and the Face Book group.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the welcome! I am loving your blog, it's interesting and funny. Plus I love pictures of everything!
    Kathie ( katmom16)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Redneck, if you're anywhere near College Station, you ought to come out to Market Days on August 21st ...think Yard Sale but everything is mostly equine related. They used to hold it at the arena on campus at TAMU. But now it's at the Brazos County Fairgrounds off of 47.

    Yeoldfurt and I will be there, it's a tradition for us. But there are lots of bargains for all things country there. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime Kathie, If you need anything just let me know.
    WomanWhoRunsWithHorses, I am North of Dallas about 50 miles, so College Station is about a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive from here. Thank you for lettin me know about it though, it sounds like a place I need to visit in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dontcha just hate when big bills come from nowhere? Hope you can find some of the things on your list to cut your costs on that bill a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have figured out a way to cut the fencing cost in half but I need some time to figure it all out and see if it will work. To answer your question about the big bills, YES.
    Thanks Denise for the comment and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete