I am a firm believer that the money you spend on supplies and goods should be spent in the small businesses and the community that you live in.
Keeping the money "In house" so to speak, serves multiple purposes.
Just to name a few;
1. Helps the City's income from the tax base you helped generate and it betters your services in the long run.
2. Promotes the small businesses and creates community jobs.
3. Helps keep the "Mom & Pop" stores from being taken over or shut down by the big corporations.
4. It saves you money on gas by not driving all the way into the big city.
5. It encourages other small businesses to pop up in your town.
6. Lastly, you know where your money is going and it is not masked by high paid executives who promote the gay lifestyle.
Even if I have to pay a few cents more for an item, I still try to buy it from the local stores. Not only are the people working at these places you neighbors, they are your friends and sometimes even your family. That makes the customer service at some of the local businesses unmatched.
I say all this because yesterday I went into town to get the lumber for the breeder pens. I decided to stop off at the local hardware store to check the prices and to see if they had what I needed. I did not want to drive all the way to the city just to save a couple of dollars on a few boards. Plus the gas would have made it not worth the trip.
Let me tell you, the 2x4s I needed were $1.50 more per board. I have gone to this place a least a thousand times and every time, I do not get good customer service. To be blunt, they are just rude and they always have been. I asked the guy, who should know me by now, if they could come down on the price a little because I did not want to make the drive all the way to Lowe's. He just snubbed me, mumbled something and walked away.
I have said it before but this time I mean it, my shadow will never darken their door again. I have tried to support them for years now and they just won't let me.
I don't know if they act that way because they are the only dog on the porch or they really hate their jobs that much.
The end result was, I went to Lowe's, expected bad customer service and got it.
With gas included, I ended up saving about $50.00 by shopping and supporting a company I really don't like.