Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Broke Down


Here is the way I look at it. A man that works for a living should not have to fight with old, used, rusty screws. Yes they have saved me money, but they have also made me loose my religion from breaking or stripping out before they are screwed all the way in.
I have had enough and broke down and bought a box of good square bit screws. After I sunk the first new screw tonight I whispered, "Oh, how I love you". The wife was standing near by and ask what I just said and I told her I was not talking to her, I was talking to the screw. She replied, "Oh"    

While I was at the big box store last night I eye balled a stack of cull lumber they had bundled up sitting off to the side. The bundle consisted of 10 2X4X8s so I asked them how much for the cull wood. They said take it all for $5.00 and I said ok. That is $0.50 a board that regularly sells for $2.44 each. How could I pass it up.

Tonight after work I was able to put up all the rafters before dark using new cull wood. Even though the new wood was twisted and bowed a little, it was a dream to work with compared to the 100 year old wood that I have been using.
It all boils down to a man needing good wood and some good screws and he will overcome huge obstacles. (Keep it clean fellers)

I can no longer say I built this bathhouse with 100% recycled materials. I have now bought screws and culled lumber so I guess I am at 99% now.

Total cost to date is $14.00 and my religion.  

20 comments:

  1. LOL..... hey free is great but sale priced stuff can be just as good.At this rate you will be done with the housing in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of those type stores have carts with lumber like that at times. Good find. I have been told they sell returned lumber like that also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart move...don't blame you one bit. Duke and me need 250 feet of 10-3 UF wire....stuff isn't cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent score, MDR - jambaloney will be impressed and jealous as oh heck when he sees this post!

    i can't wait to see the finished outdoor bathroom - we are gonna steal a lot of ideas from you! so thanks buddy! and again - awesome score!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee

    He said huge obstacles.

    hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great deal. I can't say anything else without getting in trouble. evil grin

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually if you consider that the new screws might have been cast from a scrapped and melted down 1072 VW bug, and the "cull" wood might have ended up in the trash anyway....yeah, I would venture to say that you are still on target of staying GREEN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Mudbug...my brother from another mother...what am i going to do with you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coley - I agree and hope you are right. The goal is to get it done before winter.

    Duke - Every time I go I always look at the cull lumber pile and the paint "opps" area. You can get a gallon of expensive paint for just $5.00 if you are willing to go with that color.

    Stephen - I know how expensive wire is. I had a buddy give me several hundred feet of #6. I used 900 feet to power up my barn. I understand you want to us UF as a direct bury but If you have conduit to run it in then this would work for you. I have more than that left if you want it.

    Kymber - Take what you want on the ideas. If you need more detail on certain things then let me know.

    MudBug - LOL

    RB - I understand

    WS - Ok, I can work with that so I am still on the up and up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if I have to keep it clean, I have nothing to say. Nice bargin tho.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SFG - LOL, I did not know how it sounded till after I went back and read it. It sounded good so I kept it in.
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome find. You know, sometimes you just need the right screw for the job. Yes, that was a clean statement. I have extracted nails and tried to reuse them. Sometimes it is successful, sometimes not.

    I am sure that wood would have just gone to waste. It was good you needed screws so you could claim your wood prize.

    OMG, you almost can't write anything about this and it sound clean. I promise all that was stated in a most clean way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. G - You are too funny. Don't worry, It all sounded clean, kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your definitely a man of my own kind. i love a good, clean screw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. jake1985 - That was a close one there. Thanks for the comment and thanks for hitting the follow button, welcome to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MDR - i already got enough problems keeping Mudbug in line...now i gotta stay on top of you, too?!?!?!??

    it's a never-ending job...

    (*goes off grumbling to herself*)!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  17. mdr..

    i broke down on this years ago, i salvage all i can, but when it comes to nails and screws, i don't "screw around" ;-)

    i use new fasteners, always, just makes the job reliable, no time wasted bending a rusty nail 400 times or desperately trying to drive a stripped screw head.

    just consider it an addition to the scriptures, no need to lose yer religion buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jam - I know, I was just trying to get out as cheap as I could. Sometimes it just ain't worth it though.

    ReplyDelete