Saturday, September 18, 2010

Another Blow

I try and keep a positive attitude about pretty much everything. Even when the cards are stacked against me I still try and see some good in the situation. It may not sound like it at times but it's the truth. No matter what the circumstance is, it could always be worse.

But I tell ya, man I just can't catch a break. We had it all planned out to go to Fredericksburg next weekend for their Green living conference. I was able to set a little money aside to drive the five hours down there. We planned to eat sandwiches and sleep in a tent just to be able to afford to go.
Now I have to cancel because my AC went out in the house last night and this is not going to be a quick fix like the well was. The temperatures are still in the upper 90's during the day and low 80's at night.
All I was wanting to do was to get away for one day.
I don't mind sleeping with the windows open and the fans going. As a matter of fact, I prefer it that way. Tonight though, a skunk sprayed the house right outside the window and the smell is so strong it is burning my eyes even as I write this.
Go ahead and laugh, someone has to.

Needless to say, the money for the next chick order is also going to fix the AC. The part inside the house is what went out and even if we could suffer through this last month or so of hot weather, that same part is also used by the furnace so it won't work either to help keep us warm this winter.
I just want a little luck, that's all.

4 comments:

  1. Boy, it has been a rough week all around. But a skunk...! That is adding insult to injury. LOL

    I know you don't want to hear this one, but that skunk smell will permeate everything in your house with you leaving your windows open.

    Have you got home owner's insurance? There are actually machines designed to remove those types of odors. They are ozone machines, used to remove odors in homes that a corpse has been. Insurance will cover that.

    If you do a search, you will find mixtures of vinegar, baking soda, and dish soap that you can use on the outside of your house to wash the oils off out there. I think I'd coat the house and leave it sit for a while to break down the oil.

    Here's hoping you have a much better upcoming week!

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Redneck. When things just keep going from bad to worse and you're sure your luck has hit bottom ...there's no where to go but up.

    No a/c in Texas is no laughing matter. No a/c exacerbated with eau d' polecat is definitely no laughing matter. Our last run in at the house with one of the little varmints was over a year ago and also involved a shotgun. Maybe this story will give you a chuckle.
    http://womanrunswithhorses.blogspot.com/2009/07/never-dull-moment.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Redneck, Sorry to hear your AC is not working and that you'll have to give up your trip. HUGS

    Honestly this is how things seem to be working out for us as well. We had $$ saved up for getting our well hooked up so we'll have antifreeze hydrants( they are installed, but need electric run out to it and the pump) for watering in winter, instead of hauling from inside our house, but it hailed and damaged the garage roof beyond any easy fix cure.*sigh* So the well/pump/ electric $$ repaired the roof. Hey, it's one project down, only half dozen more to go*wink*

    I've been in need of an eye exam and new glasses for two years and just when I have enough saved up, something takes that $$ and we don't have eye insurance, only major medical, so I PTL my glasses are holding together and someday it will all work out.

    Again sorry you had to cacel your trip, it's frustrating and so.... disappointing I know.
    Blessings,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be the year for skunks. I opened my door the other night to let the dog out and all I could smell was skunk. Needless to say, the poor dog did not go out until morning and I could see what was out there.

    We all know what it's like to go one step forward and two steps back. Chin up, it has to get better:)

    ReplyDelete