Sunday, November 28, 2010

Getting My Lazy On

I tell you what, these last four days just flew by and I did not get much of anything done. I am starting to worry about being lazy or not.

Here is the weekend recap.

Thursday: It was to cold to do any work Thanksgiving morning and then I was too miserable to do anything that after noon.

Friday: Spent the day on a rabbit run for the youngest daughter.

Saturday: Rebuilt the rabbit barn (again) and finished framing up the new breeder house and area. Spent the rest of the day cooking.

Today: Ended up babysitting the very sick wife so I was only able to get about and hour of work done outside. The rest of the day was spent cleaning, laundry and cooking.

Adding it all up, I only spent 3 1/2 hours actually working on the Mini Farm. That is sad.

The last hatch of the year ended up just the same as the first, if not worse. 32% hatch rate was all we got plus we did not get the Araucanas chicks we needed to have enough breeders. So now we have to order some in the spring.
We did try some new eggs that we did not know if they would even be fertile or not. They were a cross between a Serama rooster and a Banty Cochin hen. We set six of them and when we candled the eggs a few days before the hatch, none were fertile. So if you take them out of the equation then it was a 36% hatch rate.
We are really burning it up with these numbers.

It is back to the grind tomorrow so I wish everyone a safe and blessed week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry the hatch rate was a disappointment, but glad it wasn't a complete bust. We haven't tried hatching chicks yet. I know it can be tricky, especially in winter I would think.

    Don't discount how much you accomplished if you took care of your wife while she was sick. That's priceless! I know you taking up the slack with laundry and housework while she was down was priceless to her. I hope she is on the mend.

    Have a blessed week!

    : )

    ReplyDelete