Sunday, June 6, 2010

Treasure Hunting......


I don't know really how to explain it.
I guess the only way is in so many words, I had an epiphany. Wikipedia defines it as, the sudden realization or comprehension of the essence or meaning of something.
As a teenager I never had one of these. In my mid to late 20's they came about once a week or so and now that I am right at forty, they do not happen as often anymore.
I do not know if it is because with age comes wisdom or is it, with age comes forgetfulness, I can't remember.
I was down at the farm today for about the seventh time since I moved away five years ago. Each time I would go I would come back with a load of junk I thought I needed. Over time the loads kept getting smaller and smaller until not much of anything was gotten. This time tho, I loaded up the truck and trailer both and still found enough stuff to go back for one or two more times.
That is when it hit me. When I left the farm, I was moving to the city and into a new house on a whopping 1/2 acre. I did not need anything and I sure did not want to take a bunch of junk to fill up the yard. Now that I am back out in the country, that so called junk that I left behind and forgot about all the sudden became little treasures.
Today the search for things that were needed took on a whole new meaning. Instead of just scanning over a pile of junk looking for whatever it was I thought I could not live without, I was now picking through the smallest piles for the things I new, I could not live without. So in essence, it's junk only if you don't need or want it.

On the way home I stopped by a gas station to get the girls something to drink and a man walked over and asked if that was all my stuff and if we had come from the flee market just down the road. Now that's what I'm talking about. A year or so ago I would have gotten offended by that comment but now I know he was just jealous he didn't have all those treasures for himself. That's some mighty fine living right there I don't care who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment