Monday, March 11, 2013

Staying Busy

I don't think I spent much time in the house this weekend. I even missed the race yesterday because I just wanted to hang around in the shop. There has been a lot on my mind this week causing a lot of stress and worry so I just wanted to escape it all get my mind on something else. 

 All day Saturday the rain spoiled my plan to complete the wife's aviary this weekend. I did get the eight walls completed and installed during a brief weather window. I built every piece in the shop during the week and assembled it outside. I was impressed it actually worked and all fit together.
Trim work still needs to be done at every panel joint and that will be done through the week. Now that the time has changed I will be able to work on it two or three hours each night, when it dries out, if I want to.


















This view is the door. You can see in the back where the solid piece is, that is where the nesting boxes will be. 














Sunday was cold, windy and soggy so I spent it in the shop making a mock up of the roof. Being this is the first time I have built an octagon I did not know what angles were needed to make the roof point. I studied it and even calculated what the cuts needed to be, but soon found it was easier to just Hillbilly it and cut each piece until it fit.

With that much effort given to practice and the octagon point actually turning out so good I decided to alter the design where I could use it. Now there will be a "Pop Up" roof on top of the main roof so the mock up will not go to waste. This point will sit two feet above the actual roof of the aviary and a bird perch, of sorts, will be up in the little round area. I don't know what it's called so I call it a "pop up"
The new design caused me to hang around in the shop and build the frame work for the "pop up"    

 I think this is turning out better than I figured. I wanted to do the best I could with this and take my time. I am sure I could have thrown something together in a day but this will be a focal point in the yard so I wanted it to look like I cared.

What good is this you ask, it's not. It has no prepper or homesteader function I can think of. Sure it could be used for rabbits, quail or whatever, but you know, everything I have built has been for that reason. I wanted to build something for the wife that did not have anything to do with anything except her happiness, that's it.


Have a great week,
MDR

20 comments:

  1. Looking excellent.

    Definitely waiting for my solar dehydrator... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, send me the air fair and I will personally come build you whatever you want. Now that's a deal.

      Delete
  2. It looks great!!! You've gotten alot done in a short time! Very productive!
    Happy wife, happy life!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do some fine work, Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen, It is good to hear from you my friend.

      Delete
  4. holy moly! the previous owner of our old house in the city put in a $15,000 cedar gazebo in our backyard which we thoroughly enjoyed while living there. and it's got nothing on your aviary! what an excellent job, MDR! i can't wait to show jambaloney!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kymber.
      I'm not done yet. I still need to put the top on and trim it all out.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Way to make some serious progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb, just think what could have been done if it was not raining.

      Delete
  6. It's a beauty! I think the word you are looking for is cupola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady and you are right. I looked that word up and that's what it is. Thanks for the education.

      Delete
  7. I am SO impressed. (and jealous) This is a masterpiece. Congratulations, you must be really pleased and proud - and your wife even more so. Not everything has to have a practical purpose if it's beautiful and expresses love., and this certainly ticks both boxes. Of course you realise that we all want one now - see what you've started ! I hope you've sorted out your problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anony, The problems are getting sorted out a little at a time.

      Delete