Thursday, March 7, 2013

At Least It's Started

Even though I am not getting home until late every night I still go out to the shop and try to put in an hour or so on the wife's project.

I picked up a stack of lumber earlier this week to build the wife's aviary. I decided to go new because all the scrap and junk I have stacked behind the barn would not look good enough for this build. This structure will be right in the middle of the back yard and will be a focal point so it has to look good.




This is my first octagon build so it took a little time to lay out and get right, the first time. The only thing I hate worse then buying lumber is wasting it. I did do some smaller practice cuts on scrap wood just to make sure the angle was right.
Holding the boards at a 22.5 degree angle and trying to screw them together needed more hands than I had.
I quickly found out my shop is not big enough. I could only assemble half at a time and then finish putting it together outside. Even at that, I am not set up in the shop for big builds.



 There you have it, the top and bottom plates to the aviary. It's 8' feet across and will be 10' feet tall.
This only took an hour or so to build and the rest of the days this week I have been building the eight sides, one at a time. I only have three done at the moment. I don't have a picture of those yet because it's always dark when I am done for the night.
I should have all the sides built and installed this weekend, I hope.

I am already planning the next build, I plan to make a Rabbit Tractor. Almost like a chicken tractor but for rabbits. I have been wanting to get back into the meat rabbits again and I didn't want a bunch of cages to take care of every night. Plus I really don't have the time to weekly clean their room so a Rabbit Tractor, I feel, is the way to go.

5 comments:

  1. 'Kay. When you're finished, this wife needs a chicken tractor please :) RMan is not keen on chickens, let alone making the tractor...

    Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani
      I wonder what the shipping chargers would be on that?

      Delete
  2. That is going to be one beautiful aviary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting to see the pictures when all done1

    ReplyDelete