Monday, September 30, 2013

Can't Get Any Wetter

What we thought was going to be a relaxing birthday weekend for the wife turned out to be just the opposite.

We made it to the resort Friday night and was looking forward to a free and fun filled weekend. Saturday morning after breakfast I hit the golf course, the wife and oldest girl went for their spa day.
Now, if you did not read my last post then I will will quickly recap. This was a free weekend full of free food and fun at a classy resort about thirty minutes from here. The only catch is I had to spend about forty five minutes listening to them trying to sell me a share.

I don't get to golf as much as I want. I wished I could do it every weekend but it gets a little pricy for me.
Plus, I never get the chance to play on a course like this one. Most of the times it's a low budget public course that is not taken care of. So I was really excited to have this opportunity.
I was put with a couple of guys because I was alone. I was really glad they played at my level because I really didn't want to look like more of a fool out there than I usually do.  



As luck would have it, at hole #6 it started a downpour.  It rained and it rained and it rained. I was soaked, my clubs were soaked, I already started getting swamp butt and by hole #9 I was ready to call it done. As my ball dropped in the cup and the rain poured off my hat down my back, I told the guys I had enough. The older of the two looked at me and said, "Why you quitting, you can't get any wetter."
He made a good argument there and I decided to man up, push through and finish the back 9. The rain stopped as we were putting on 18, go figure. I just had to laugh.

I had enough time to head back, shower and change then pick the girls up from the spa. They smelled good and their skin had a glow. Even though I was a new member of the soggy bottom boys, as long as they had a good time was enough for me.

We met the salesman and I was all ready to break his little heart when he did some reverse psychology stuff on me and through me off guard. He started off by saying, "It does not make me a difference if you buy or not. As a matter of fact, I don't care if you do or don't. You probably won't but, I still need to go through this anyway." 
This made me want to do it even more now, just to show him. I started asking questions and the wife started stomping my foot. I left feeling good and with a sore foot, I didn't buy nor did he care. I'm glad the wife was there though.

We could have stayed that night for free as well but we ended up getting bored and going home. Now, who goes to a resort like that and gets bored? Well, I guess we do, it's just not our lifestyle.

The oldest girl left back to college Sunday morning. Forty five minutes later the phone rang and I saw the panic in my wife's eyes. Without knowing what was going on, I automatically grabbed the keys and started heading for the truck, she was right behind me. A lady ran a red light and t-boned her car.
The daughter has some bumps and bruises and the car had to be towed off. We are so thankful she didn't get hurt. It was the best birthday present the wife could ask for. 

That's all I got for now. I did get a little project knocked out yesterday. I will post about it next time.
Until then and sorry for the rushed post,
MDR
   



 

20 comments:

  1. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for your weekend, but proud of you for not letting the salesman's reverse psychology get the better of you ...credit to Mrs MDR too for that!! : )

    Sorry about BEB's fender bender, but so grateful she's okay. It sounds like it was the other lady's fault ...it will be a hassle, but the other lady's insurance should take care of BEB's car.

    I got six inches of rain Saturday ...could about 20 more before the year is out, but grateful for what i have.

    Hugs to you and the fam,
    ~HossBoss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me HB, I didn't cuss the rain.

      It was a little more than a finder binder. The car is in need of some major repair. Even though it was not the daughters fault, I am still out of pocket 500 bucks until the police report is filed (7 to 10) days and then my insurance goes after them for the cost of the repair and my 500. It may take 3 weeks to get that money back.

      Thanks for the comment

      Delete
  2. So glad that your daughter was safe and sound. I recently got a call the same and the bottom just drops out of your world until you see with your own eyes that they are safe.
    Glad your wife enjoyed her birthday spa treat even if you did end up soggy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dreamer. Yup, I couldn't get there fast enough. A lot of bad things run through your head when you get a call like that.

      Delete
  3. Glad your daughter was ok. Mine is 18 and hasn't been driving long so almost every time she leaves here I worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sista,
      Ya know, I didn't have any grey hair until my girls started driving. I worry all the time for them.

      Delete
  4. MDR,

    OMG, I'm glad your daughter is okay. Hopefully the party who hit your daughters car has insurance. This way it can pay for fixing the vehicle, the tow, and a rental vehicle for your daughter.

    A few good things came out of this weekend. It was your wife's birthday, she was able to have a nice spa treatment with your daughter, and you enjoyed a wet golf game.

    Next years birthday will be better!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be hard to top this weekends excitement Sandy, maybe next year it will be boring.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad your daughter is ok! I know when my boy gets old enough to drive, I'll be worried just about senseless. I hope he gets my driver's luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knock on wood Ginny.
      We have been really lucky so far and if this the worst then I will take it.
      The hardest thing I ever had to do was watch my girls drive away on their own.

      Delete
  6. Glad your daughter is OK. I find I get bored at places like that too! I guess it's because we are typically so busy all the time, that actually stopping to smell the roses, makes me think of my roses at The Compound and how I'd rather be there than almost anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Izzy
      It was good to get out even though it was for only one day.

      Delete
  7. A better birthday would have been your daughter getting safely back to college in her car. Make sure you check the car closely for any damage to the frame or axles and don't accept a sloppy low budget repair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than that TL would have been her staying here.

      Yup being the car is a 2013, it has to come out of the shop like a new car.

      Delete
  8. Nothing wrong with getting a little wet or a lot. ha ha I hope your daughter is OK. Cars can be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob,
      She is a little bruised up and sore but I think she will make it.

      Delete
  9. Really glad to hear your daughter is okay. ♥
    They had a lot of those 'time-share' things where we lived before, but none as nice as the one you went to.
    I don't know how it is where you live, but at least one of the universities near us has a well kept, public golf course on the grounds.Just an idea, if you want to do more golfing. Which you probably don't.
    But I know how you feel, those sorts of places are too fancy for us, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LindaG
      The University here has one and it is nice but the cost is more than I budget for entertainment.

      I just don't fit in well with those kind of people in those kinda places. I feel fake and it's like I'm trying to be something I'm not. But then again, it was free.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad your daughter is ok. That's a scary feeling.
    I think we needed a picture of the Soggy Bottom Club. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SFG and yea, I bet you don't want that visual.

      Delete