Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Basking In The Shade

I have had this Shade project lingering over my head for sometime now and even though summer is almost over and we are tightening the belt to afford to replace the A/C-Heater unit in the house, this one little thing had to get finished.

Over the past few months I have been collecting materials for the patio shade.
At first I wanted to build a nice wooden structure that looked all fancy, but after pricing everything out I quickly realized that was not going to work. A $3200 patio cover was not in the budget.
So I started to think cheap and designed it, but even then with cattle panels and lattice work it was going to cost $400. Yes, it is a far cry from the first design but it was going to look like crap and I was not going to be happy with it.

My cousin called a month ago and asked if I could use a automatic sun shade. Well sure I could!
I had some heavy wall pipe already on my trailer and down in the barn I had some lumber, lattice work and broken bags of concrete I have been collecting from the cull piles at the lumber stores. I make it a habit to go by and look through the cull piles at least once a week. You can save a butt load of money that way.

I set the posts last Thursday and somehow during all the other things that was going on Sunday, I managed to finish the project. It just so happens I had my labor force (the girls) there at one time and I took advantage of it.
  This shade even has a remote control. All I have to do it hit the button and it automatically unrolls itself. Now that's high cotton right there!
Not a bad little project that will come in really handy and all for $18.00. That was the price of the u-bolts to hold the boards on the metal pipe.

See ya,
MDR   

6 comments:

  1. Saving a butt load of money is good. I see you know sitting there in the shade with a ice cooler full of cold drinks........Big Texas Grin ya all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job I like it.Being frugal is never out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MDR,

    Holly Toledo!!!! You've saved all kinds of money doing it this way.
    Your shade is amazing, not you can sit out and enjoy being cooler in Texas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. $18 is better than $3200...

    ReplyDelete