Thursday, October 25, 2012

Always The Odd Ball

I have noticed whenever I go somewhere I am the odd ball out. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the places I go, but in the end I stick out like a sore thumb.

I am on vacation this week and decided to take the wife camping. I love camping this time of year because there is the smell of fall in the air, I don't have to run the AC in the camper and when I am cooking outside I am not miserably hot.
Last summer we bought into a nice camping resort and have been waiting to take full advantage of it for the past few months. Fall brings on festivities at these places and the one we are at is having a Halloween blow out this weekend.  The kids really enjoyed it last year when we came as guests.
We have been here for three days now and are really missing the kids. I thought I would welcome the time away from everything with just me and the wife, but my kids make me whole and without them I feel something is missing.

Don't get me wrong, I am really liking the whole do nothing aspect of this being we have been so busy the past few months and I am really enjoying the late night hot tub runs, the sitting outside without anything to do and all that, but it seams the noise the kids make is what sooths me the most.
All three will be here Saturday morning and I am really looking forward to it.

The reason I say I am the odd ball here is because even though we have a camper, we spend most of our time outside it. We eat outside, cook outside and even do nothing outside. The only time you will find us in the camper is when we are sleeping. The strange thing is that we are the only ones doing that. I almost feel like I'm in a zoo exhibit when people drive by. They point and stare like I'm an attraction or something. I point back and laugh.  Funny people!

All the campers around me are full of folks watching TV, cooking, eating and living just like they would at home. Me, I don't understand that. These people spend all week cooped up in their little offices, then go home to their house with neighbors less than twenty feet from them and when they go outside it's in their little fenced off back yard. Then they spend their whole vacation cooped up in their little campers.

Complain I will not because the wife and I have had the run of the place. The rec-centers, the pools, the hot tubs, the showers and the bathrooms. Nobody leaves their campers so it's like a ghost town here and we are taking full advantage of it.

I guess what is boils down to is that we do what we are comfortable with. These city folks feel like they are on vacation by doing what they do at home and the same with me. At home I cook outside, shower outside, eat outside and even just sit around outside. So I guess the camper people can say the same about me as I say about them, "Why do they go on vacation to work, they could have just done that at home".   
And I'm the odd ball.

18 comments:

  1. Enjoy Saturday (and don't worry about being the "oddball").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Gorges, I don't worry too much, I just think it's funny.

      Delete
  2. Have fun! You will appreciate the quiet time with your wife once you get back home! But I understand what your saying about your kids, you just aren't you without them. I have started feeling out of place everywhere I go! I am noticing what other people are doing, which is not what I would do but the masses are doing it, so I end up disturbed and just want to be home. Did that make sense? I didn't think so, enjoy your weekend ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understood Kelly. I know I will appreciate it later.
      Thank you

      Delete
  3. This was getting on past your bed time wasn't it Fa? Haha jk. I'm sooooo excited! I can't wait to see y'all there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly how we feel about being at The Compound. Friends and family can not understand our desire to be outside "in all that heat". Now we are not vacationing, but we are doing something we love. Just remember, when crap hits the fan, something you normally do, will never be normal to them. They will not be able to cope. You and the wife have fun, counting the hours until your girls arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Izzy, we will. They should be here in a few more hours. Oh what to do until?

      Delete
  5. I think you have just illustrated the difference between camping and RVing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even like camping, but I would sit outdoors instead of watching tv or staying inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok PP, you cant just leave it at that, You have tell me why you don't like camping.

      Delete
  7. My husband and I (we're in our mid-late 20's) were full-time RV'ers because he traveled a lot for work, and it sure beats hotels. We saw the same thing all over. People not leaving their RV's/travel trailers except to leave the park. We stayed one place for about 4 months and I never once saw anyone else in the RV park's bathrooms. The showers were cleaned once a day regardless.
    It was nice to have our run of the place but we never, in 4 months, met any of our neighbors. That always seemed so strange to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niki, Thanks for the comment.
      The run of the park was nice.

      Delete
  8. I haven't done much camping since I moved to our homestead. I hate to go anywhere else! In the past though, I used to work at the Watkins Glen race track, and the volunteers had a camping area to stay in during the week we were working. I used a tent and a campfire. Most of them had rvs and ran generators all night long. Ruined the peacefulness of the glen, that's for sure! They were watching television, playing stereos and cooking with power. I guess that was a sign to me of what my future life would be like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katlupe, thanks for the comment.
      I don't like to leave my place either but I have always lived on a homestead and getting away from it for a few days here and there helps my focus.

      From what I am told, they call those folks that stay in their RVs all the time, professional RVers.

      Delete