Friday, May 13, 2011

Got Quail

The Bob White Quail finally came in this morning. 11 were dead on arrival and 4 have twisted feet. The rest are good so far. I plan to call the hatchery tomorrow and see what they say about the deformed ones and also the ones that did not make it.

Right on time, I also got my Game Bird Breeders license in the mail today so now I am legitimate and legal.

The other hatchery that had all those birds die I told you about in the last post made it good to us. They shipped replacement birds and all those came in today as well.  We are now officially overrun with chicks.

If you were wondering, we have not given up on hatching chicks ourselves. We did not have some of the breeds people were asking for so we ordered them as chicks to raise up for our breeders in the fall. We just ordered a bunch of them at a time so we can sell the left overs as pullets in a few months.
All our incubators are full and even some in my dad's as well. The wife just locked down a whole tray today.
The main problem now is that we have about 200 eggs hatching a month at different times. That makes it where we overlap some chicks in the brooder houses getting some of the ages crossed. Only by a week or so but still crossed up. The wife found a solution to that and ordered legs bands to color code the hatch dates. Smart hu?

We went to the oldest girls last softball game tonight. They made it three deep into playoffs and were just a little out batted in this game. They almost pulled it off though. The girl was really upset not just because she lost but because this was her very last game she will play. She graduates this month and after the game through her tear stained eyes she said that she did not want it to end. I feel her pain. The good thing is she went out hitting and I told her she will remember this for the rest of her life and gave her a big hug.

This weekend will be full of mowing. All that rain we got this week has made the grass get so high that I don't know if I will be able to mow it or not with my little mower so I bet we will break something trying.
And, keeping the buck goats away from the nannies has turned out to be more of a challenge than I figured. So I will be do some re-figuring on the buck pen as well.

I also scored some really good stuff this week for free but I will post about it tomorrow because I need something to write about if nothing else happens.
I will also tell yall about another instance that made me scratch my head and say " Well I'll Be", I bet you'll get a kick out of it as well.

Talk to ya then.   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment