Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Industrial Country Market, A Must See

A year ago I was watching Texas Country Reporter and they did a special on the Industrial Country Market located in Columbus Texas, just and hour or so South of Texas A&M six miles North of HWY 10. They advertise that they are a Non-General General Store. The whole complex consisting of many greenhouses, the giant store, multiple water gardens, art galleries and the main house is completely off the grid. This was something I had to check out the next time I was down that way. Last Saturday I had that opportunity to stop by.     
It was everything I could have imagined it would be. Every roof had a rain water catchment system connecting to a main storage room. One green house was nothing but hydroponics, the battery house was amazing and even the public outdoors bathrooms had composting toilets, I was in heaven.
The wife and I watched the fish swim around in the water gardens, took a fragrant stroll through the rose gardens and walked the pathways through the outdoor art gardens. The reuse of everyday materials we call trash that was reused into art was outstanding.
Everywhere I looked there was something to see and learn, my brain was in overload trying to take it all in.
It didn't take long until we were greeted and being the talker that I am, it took about as long to get engaged in a deep conversation with the owners. After the wife and I briefly described what we do in a much smaller scale, we were invited on a special tour of their very own "off grid" home they just built for themselves. It was absolutely beautiful and amazing. I was honored to be invited into their home and shown every detail of how it was constructed. I was so upset with myself because I didn't take a notepad with me to take notes on all the things I can do to improve on what I do.
They also give classes in several different areas on how to do what they do like hydroponics and off grid living. The knowledge these folks have on these things is amazing.       
I have never seen a place like this or met folks like this and probably never will again. If you live within a few hours of this amazing place I encourage you to have a visit. If not, then please take a look at their website. I cannot say enough good things about the owners hospitality and the paradise they have built for us to enjoy and learn from.
Their website is http://icm71.com/ 
We will be making another trip back down that way in August and plan to stop back by. 

See ya down the road.
MDR


This is not a paid advertisement by ICM and these are my words from the impression I got from my visit. All pictures were taken from their website.
     

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! Glad you had the opportunity. What did they have that most intrigued you, that you want to incorporate at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Izzy, I would say the hydroponic system and the water gardens filled with fish. I would also say the complete solar electrical system as well. The wife would say the rose gardens of course.

      Delete
  2. Sounds fantastic. We're farther than two hours, I think, so thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG, we are about 5 1/2 hours away, that is why I have not visited there before now. It was well worth the trip though.

      Delete