Thursday, March 21, 2013

It's Too Warm For Chili

I thought chili is supposed to be cooked when it's cold, not in Texas it ain't. Competition chili cook offs are all year long here.
Last weekend we had a cook off that was close enough to the house to go to, so at the last minute we thought what the heck.
Normally we would spend several days planning and getting ready, but it has been three months since our last competition so we just jumped in the truck.
We didn't take the full set up, only a table and the cooker. It was much easier that way. One half of our team had other obligations so it was just me, the wife and the girls. We even had some friends come by and showed their support. I can't think of many things I would have rather been doing. Well except fishing of course.

The oldest was up from college and took this lovely picture of me, the wife and Captain Morgan. I don't know which one I love the most.
Good times right there. 

150 cooks showed up to the cook off. They gave trophies to the first 22 places and I did not receive one. I don't feel too bad about it though. The five past and the current world champions did not place either.
I am changing up a few things with my recipe after this one. I am trying out three new chili powders and a few new tricks I learnt. The new MDR chili will be revealed May 10th at the next cook off in Collinsville Texas.      

End the end we had a blast. I really enjoy doing these cook offs, but I can't see myself cooking chili in the summer. In May we have four cook offs back to back to attend and then I think I am shutting it down till November. 

That's all I got for now, Y'all have a good one and just to set the record straight, Captain Morgan may be great but, I love the wife more.    

No comments:

Post a Comment