Monday, August 27, 2012

Weekend Getaway

Most people when they want to get away from it all go to the more popular places like Cancun, The Bahamas or even Hawaii. The more upper class of folks may vacation in Rome, Martha's Vineyard, Bora Bora or some other place spending several thousand dollars to have a good time and relax for a few days. Me, I go to little ol' Jefferson Texas.


This weekend was my 22nd year to be married to my lovely wife. I thought we needed to at least do something nice, just the two of us. Being we spent all summer spending time and catered to the kids, taking them everywhere we could and being a family, a romantic getaway was in the cards so we did it.

I can say is was worth it. If you are within 4 to 6 hours of the little town I would go. Being that I am a history buff, but more so on Texas history this was the place for me. We took several tours and even did a ghost tour. Yes, believe me if you want too, this place is haunted and I can tell you one thing, they aren't lying.
The town is set up just for tourists with around 50 bed and breakfasts in old Plantation homes, dozens of antique shops in the historic downtown, bayou boat tours, romantic carriage rides and at least four museums. Needless to say we couldn't see it all in one weekend. It was a Texas getaway with a touch of South Louisiana thrown in, loved it.

Now back to everyday grind for a while. The kids started school today, the oldest has been back to collage for a week now, the house is quite once again.



        

   

11 comments:

  1. Glad you had a chance to get away. The Moose and I celebrate 25 years this October and since we're not upper class, I'm trying to find something a little more economical to do. It's about being together anyway, not how much you spend. Some of our best memories didn't cost a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Izzy, I don't do anything unless is economical. I am what you would call a cheap o. I am sure you will find something. The small town venue is what we like most of all.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a much needed, much deserved vacation! I may have to check that town out if we ever decide to go anywhere it sounds like my cup of tea ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly it was great and you should, you won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on 22 years! That is fantastic!
    Here's hoping you have many, many more. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great. Thats the sort of thing Darcy and I like. We sometimes go down to St. Augustine Fl.they have the carriage rides and the B&B's also. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DADC - It kinda makes you slow down a little and that's what I like.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a nice weekend. Hey are you boys going to get any rain out of Isaac?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SBF, No, the only thing we are going to get from Isaac is hotter weather.

      Delete
  6. You are a sweet husband. It's wonderful that you took time to do something like this with your wife, such a great memory to create! I love Texas history as well...being a Texan will do that to you. We have such a rich history and culture of our own. So awesome!

    And I just read your main opening blog about how you and the family lived off the grid --- I know those struggles in that lifestyle seemed like such a hardship during those 15 years, but did you EVER IMAGINE that people are actually TRYING to be brave enough to live that kind of life these days??????? You've done it already and know the ups and downs that come with it. I'm with you, I'd love to sell my big two-story house and be back in the woods. I'm trying so hard to get there...I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable living full time in the city again. I like the city, but not for every day of the remainder of my life.

    Keep up the living with the basics and helping us all to appreciate it a bit more. I love your candid way of writing. Don't stop.

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great comment Lana,
      I find the History of Texas to be in a sense, Romantic by chance.

      Thanks for going back to read some of the blog. Very few do.
      When we were living that way it was out of survival and not by choice. I tried every way in the world to get out of that situation and have a better life for the family. It wasn't until I started blogging that I found out people were actually working toward living the way we lived. I didn't understand it for the longest but found myself wanting to go back to the same.
      I wished I knew then what I know now on this stuff. It wouldn't have been near as hard on us back then.

      Delete