Wednesday, December 9, 2015

That Was A Close One

 I smell hair burning....

 
This last week I was able to get the trim stained and installed in the living room/kitchen area, plus build the railing and get it in place for the bedroom/play area loft.
Waiting for stain to dry is like watching grass grow. Before long you get tired of waiting and just cut and fit leaving stain all over you, your tools and whatever else it touches. 
Waiting is not a strong trait I have.
I still have the loft ladder, the island counter top, the hide away bar stools and the small cabinet next to the stove to do and then I will be done with the inside until spring when I will do the floors.
 So last weekend I had one of those friend of a friend deals where I switched out a stove for a lady and she was going to give me her old one. Sounds like a great deal right?
Well, in all fairness it was. I didn't know this one did not have a pilot light and took the top off. The top is not suppose to come off and when I put it back on I guess I, unknowingly, broke a gas line. After cleaning it, switching it over to LP and putting it in the house, all the burners fired up except one. Me and the wife sat there, looking at it hearing it clicking away and wondering why this one burner would not light. Just then it exploded sending a fire ball through us and into the room.
With the smell of burning hair hanging heavily in the room, we checked ourselves to make sure we still had eyebrows and I still had my beard.
I took the top back off and in doing so I broke three more gas lines and then said to hell with it. It's going in the trash. I am sure I could fix it by using flexible line in place of the small ridged feeder lines, but I didn't like the design anyway, it's just not me and now I am scared of it. I couldn't get the oven to work as well so my mind is made up.  
    
I found this little stove just down the road yesterday so I think I might stop back by and pick it up today.
To justify the extra expense, this is the look we were originally going for. This time I will put it in the shop, clean it, make sure everything is safe and fire it up before putting it in the house. No electronics, no switching it over, nothing but fire and cooking. 






I have to get the porches and house painted before the heavy winter so that will be what I do next. I need to build the railing around the upstairs porch and the accent lighting and the trim and the.........
The list keeps going and going. I don't think I will ever be done.

Until next time,
Jerry

7 comments:

  1. Wow, so glad you two are OK. That is a nice looking old stove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry,

    This could have been a big problem, so glad you're no longer using that stove. I love the new stove you both have your eyes on. I hope you're able to get it before someone else.
    Yes, there's always work to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, we got it. Now just to get it cleaned and safe to use.

      Delete
  3. Gas scares me thanks to the media. Too many news stories on houses exploding. I guess blog posts describing the smell of burning hair aren't helping either! Still, I have a gas cooktop and wouldn't trade it anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up on LP and the only thank that scares me is the stove it self. I don't know how to fix it or repair it.
      Thanks Ed

      Delete
  4. Not made to take the top off, that's odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought BBC but all the burners were hard plumbed in and when taken off, it broke the lines. I am sure if I was a a appliance repairman I would have known that.
      Thanks BBC

      Delete