Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I Don't Want One

It's kinda funny the things you hear in the office.

I have been at me new job a total of four months now. I spend about three hours a day in the office before heading out to the field. Most of the time my head is down and I am concentrating, focused and working on this or that. I am never the social butterfly or partake in the water cooler gossip and I really cannot tell you the names of all the folks sitting only a few feet away. I am the new guy so I am expected to do just what I am doing and when the time comes, they may let me into their little click.

So every morning I have to hear all the events of everyone telling whoever will listen about their lives, social status, political views and even religion. Most of the time I just keep my head down and try to tune them out while I do my reports. Just by overhearing them I can tell I would be the odd ball out with the way I live and the way I think. You see, most of the people I work with are really far Left and they think everyone should live the way they do, hence, the reason why I keep my mouth shut. All I would need to do to start a feeding frenzy is to say something against their views.

This morning caught me off guard and I had to give one of secretaries my best "are you stupid look." She saw and recognized it right away then quickly shut up and turned around. I didn't even need to say anything.

One guy asked her if her and her husband have ever been hunting.

"No, I would never do that! Plus, we don't even own a gun, we don't believe in them." she said in a matter of fact tone of voice.

I stopped what I was doing to listen to the rest of the conversation.      

She continued, "Why do I need a gun? I'm not a violent person. That means I would have to go out and shoot somebody if I had one."

That's when my head sprung up and that look of ,"Really, how stupid are you" came across my face.

Is this what they really believe? Then it all makes since now. They want to ban guns because if they had one then they would go out and shoot someone. After all, it's the guns fault, they would have no control over it.

Really?

32 comments:

  1. I am pretty open minded when it comes to politics and prefer to listen to others expand upon their political beliefs than talk about mine, at least outside of the blogging community. But I think I would have a hard time keeping my mouth shut with that comment. It takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a hard time Ed, but I also knew there was no winning in the end even if I won the argument.

      Delete
  2. There is a meme somewhere that has Spock saying "Logic dictates that if gun-owners were as violent as anti-gunners say they are, there wouldn't be any anti-gunners left."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have beer in my fridge...that means I have to drink one. Now THAT's a true statement. But I have been a gun owner since I was old enough to hunt and I can honestly say I have never "had" to shoot someone. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the beer made me do it. At least that's what I always say.

      Delete
  4. I'd like to say "That's just ignorant"......but apparently, that's just it. And they vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned a long time ago its better to just look like a deer caught in headlights then to correct someone. Just a reminder of how Obama was elected twice. I don't own a gun, because I can't afford one or two. Not because of not of wanting to kill man nor best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it looks like another one will take his place.
      Thanks Rob

      Delete
  6. Run. Run. Forrest Run! Run. You will never change their way of thinking. Run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have only ended with me being the bad guy DFW

      Delete
  7. p.s. I work with those types too. I just stare at them with my "You.Have.Got.To>Be.Kidding.Me." faces & they usually turn away. Otherwise, I start an argument with them. I am over 50 years old & I absolutely get to pick who I spend time with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being the new guy here and they did not ask my opinion, I just kept it to myself.

      Delete
  8. Are you sure this isn't a blonde joke?
    Sad....just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're all better of if she never gets a gun. Or near one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MDR,

    What's that saying, "Can't fix stupid".

    You know she will be the first one screaming for help if something were to go down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she would be the kind to just get in line at the local FEMA shelter thinking the government will take care of her. I know so many folks just like that.

      Delete
  11. I'll add to Sandy's "you can't fix stupid" reply, and add "and you can't argue with it either!" Just sad really, are you sure you live in Texas? The Moose and I are convinced we live in an alternate universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy, the ones I know who have that way of thinking down here are all implants form another country, like Illinois or somewhere like that.

      Delete
  12. Hahahahaha!!!!!!! You are a better person than I am!!!! I would have laughed at her and given her that look at the same time. Still kinda chuckling inside. hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was too stunned to say anything, even laugh.

      Delete
  13. Wow! I have never heard such nonsense before!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, even knowing she immediately recognized your unabashed 'are you stupid look' ...you should have quickly followed with a big grin and said, 'Bless your little heart!!' ...then turned back to your work and left her to ponder your intentions behind THAT remark. We from the south KNOW it can mean anything we want. : )

    ~HB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do we work in the same office? lol seriously, I work with a bunch of lefties also. We are not supposed to talk about politics or religion at work, but they do both. I typically keep my mouth shut because it would be futile to debate with them, and I'd just make things harder on myself. Hang in there, bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris,
      I would hate to have to work next to them for any longer than I do. About three hours a day is too long already.

      Delete
  16. I have some of those at my job as well, I've found that most of them, don't want to think for themselves, or use common sense logic, so if they aren't receptive to what I say pretty quick, I just drop it, since they will probably vote for Hillary anyway.

    ReplyDelete