Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Around The Mini Farm

Last weekend the whole bunch of us hung around the house and got caught up on some of the things we have been lacking on due to too much playing and not enough working.
There is so many things that have to be done before the Graduation Backyard BBQ Party this Saturday. I have all the sudden found myself in a slight panic to get it all completed before then. Oh well, if it gets done it does, if not it don't.

Here is some pictures around the Mini Farm and the gardens,
The babies are no so small anymore.

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Corn


These are the tomato plants in the Hydroponics system. They are growing so fast and I am already getting some little tomatoes off them. I wished I would have done this system a little bigger and added peppers to it as well.
Some of the herd. BO II and BO III are doing great and loving life now.


Here is the experimental potato bed I planted without soil and only in straw. Some came up and are doing well. The one thing I can see that is not working is the moisture level is too high down in the straw. I try and fluff it to get air down to the root so they do not rot but I don't think it's working to well.
Only time will tell.











I got more, but that's all I will bore you with for now. Have a great day.
MDR

9 comments:

  1. looks good that hydroponic setup looks interesting
    that looks like a good experiment for me to try thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, It's really easy to put together. It is a Dutch Bucket System.

      Delete
  2. everything looks really great buddy! i need to learn more about this hydroponic thing - are you planning on making more? i can't wait for the graduation bbq - make sure to take tons of pics of everyone and lots of pics of the food! oh and share your chili recipe!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kymber, You know I can't share my chili recipe, it's award winning and one day when I win the World title I will be able to sell it. Now, I will send it to ya by mail because you are my friend, but I can't put it on here.
      The Hydroponics is a must in the greenhouse. This Dutch Bucket system is so easy to run and the plants are looking great. Not bad for my first time. I do plan to make more systems and the next one will be a horizontal tiered continuous flow for strawberry's. Then on to the system where you use fish. That ones going to be cool.

      Delete
    2. thanks buddy...i really would love your chili recipe so that i can share some proper texan chili at our community events! i have a friend who was studying aquaponics in the 60's. he tried to tell me all about it - over the phone - and i looked a bunch of stuff up online but it kind of scares me. if you set up more hydroponics and/or aquaponics, i would love some detailed posts. i trust friends in how to do things more than strangers on youtube or the interwebs. i would love to learn more about what you are doing!

      your friend,
      kymber

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks so much better than mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SLSPE, you are too kind. The secret is in the water.

      Delete
  4. My friend said she raises potatoes in a barrel with only about six inches of dirt and potatoes on top. She only put pine straw over the potato plants, and got lots of potatoes. I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP,
      The seed potatoes sat right on newspaper. The roots go down through the paper and into the dirt. The rest of the plant is in the straw. So far it's really nothing but the top plant and no potatoes. The others that were buried are making and almost ready to harvest. I don't know if this is worth it or not yet.

      Delete