Monday, October 24, 2016

Fishing, Hunting, Family and Chili

Get you a cup of Joe, sit down and read a while, this one is going to be long one. A lot has happen in the past few months. Life just keeps getting bigger and better.


I know I have stopped blogging for a while and the main reason is, I just don't have much to say. I figured I can only say so much about cooking chili and even that is boring if you are not a chili cook. It seems like chili is all I have done for the past three years. I have all but given up everything I used to enjoy just to cook a bowl of red. As much as I have tried to decrease the amount of competitions we go to it still feels like every weekend we were gone somewhere doing our chili thing. I know it was getting old reading about the same thing every week so I just quit writing about it. But, if y'all want to hear about it then I will write about it.
I do miss blogging and getting my aggression out. If anyone reads it or not is was a way of therapy for me you might say. I can also tell over the past few months my writing skills have regressed back to about a fifth grade level again. Not that it was anything worth a crap in the first place.

So, here is what's been going on. Fishing, Hunting, Family and Chili. If I'm not cooking a bowl of red in some small town somewhere, I am Fishing or Hunting or at least trying to.

Hunting;
Bird season was kinda a bust even though we had a great time for a couple of weeks. The birds were just not there. My hopes are that these cold fronts we are having will push down some of those big Kansas dove and I can get in a few more shots before the season closes. I bought a new over and under that has not even been good and broke in yet, now that is a shame.
Everything is in it's place for deer season. I bought a cross bow because it's archery only in the county I live in and I'm really not that good with a normal bow. Plus, the cross bow is a lot cheaper than a deer lease somewhere.   

Fishing;
Fishing has been restricted to local ponds mostly. The catfish are just now coming back in the creeks but they are still hard to get to. The freakish high waters this summer has made a thick growth of high weeds all through the bottoms and it's hard to navigate. Even though, I would still like to get in a little more fishing before winter sets.       

Chili;
The chili trail is still going. Our new year started the first of October and the plans are made on the number of cook offs we plan to attend. It's about half of what we have been doing because we don't plan to go to the World Championship next year.  This year we are planning to hit some in New Mexico, Virgin Islands and a few more big ones here and there.
Candy unsuccessfully ran for the board of directors in our organization (CASI) a month or so ago down in Austin. She loves the organization and what they stand for so much she was willing to offer her time and skill set to help it even more. I guess it was not her time yet. After her defeat we have decided to take a step back from the political side of the chili world for a couple of years and try to get back to the reason we started cooking in the first place which is Chili, Charity and Fun. Politics ends up ruining everything good and unfortunately it's no different if you get that heavily involved in anything, even in a charitable organization.   
Candy won Missouri State in chili and I won it in Beans a couple of months ago. Other than that, we have not cooked in any major cook off for a while. It's just been small locals here and there.
Terlingua (World Championship) is next week and we are just starting to load the truck. This is the 50th year anniversary for CASI so it's going to be a big one. We leave this Friday for another week long adventure in the desert.

Last, but most important.
Family;
Last week our family grew. Grand baby number two (Emily) was born.
Candy and I have taken to the grand parenting thing pretty well. After my kids all grew up I really missed the sounds of running little feet through the house. The noise of kids laughing and playing were all gone and only quiet and emptiness hung in the air. Boredom took over and I think that is why we started doing the chili thing so much.
Sitting still will drive me insane with the creeping thoughts of regrets and life decisions that might not have went as planned slowly drift in. Shoulda-Woulda-Couldas are a killer and it's better to have my mind active. Can I change all that crap no, but try telling my hard head that.
Grand baby one (Rebecca) is now two and a half. She is at that age where she is talking in short sentences and starting to ask questions. I think my favorite age is around eight, but they will get there too fast as it is. I plan to cherish every moment with these two.



Other than that, life goes on.
See ya in a couple of weeks,
Jerry

14 comments:

  1. Congrats to all in Emily's safe arrival. May she bring you all much joy 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, I am sure I will have a lifetime of Joy with her.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to you and the parents! May God bless you all.
    Good to hear from you. Good luck with the crossbow!
    Safe trips when you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LindaG. Believe me when I say He has blessed us. More than I deserve for sure.

      Delete
  3. Your granddaughters are cute! I'm glad you've been doing ok. Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to hear from you. Thanks so much. I am a native Texan (Aggie), earning a living in California, and yearning to be home, so yeah, love the update.
    Hoping to buy a second home in central Texas, as that would be close to all my family...I could meet them there for vacations and eventually retire there. Beware.., I make a mean pot of chili, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Patti.
      As you know we are Aggie fans as well. Even though the oldest graduated a year ago she is still down there making a living fixing to move to Florida for work.
      We cook all over the US and the next time you come up for vacation you should find a CASI chili cook off. Let me know and I will take you up on that challenge. As a matter of fact, there is one in College Station coming up in about three months out on 6. Then one in Navasota for the Texas Birthday Bash.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! Was beginning to wonder if you were still alive. I've checked at a minimum weekly to see if there were any updates. Congrats on the new grandbaby, they are the only reason in my opinion to have children, ha ha! I have seven, so you have a ways to go to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, yup still kicking. Thanks for checking on me.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the new granddaughter! I've stopped blogging altogether. Once and awhile I get an idea or two, but it quickly gets pushed back or under by my chaotic life right now... Glad to hear you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Izzy. Sorry to hear you stopped blogging but I can fully understand. It will be here when you slow down.

      Delete
  7. Jerry, so glad to see you blogging again! Even though I don't cook chili, I loved reading about you and your wife's adventures cooking! You look great - fit and happy. Having grandkids must be the best thing ever, being able to love little ones but not having the pressures to raise them! Keep blogging, no matter what!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karla. I am, the problem is I gained back a few pounds just because I got tired of being hungry.
      The grandkids are really great. I had to watch both last night for a while and I was in a panic. It's been so long that I had a new born and a 2 year old to look after at the same time. It turned out fine though. I guess you could say, it's like riding a bike.

      Delete