Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Serenity

For my daughters graduation, I sent her and my wife on a little cruise. She has worked so hard these past 4 1/2 years and deserved getting away for a few days.
  I was not about to sit at home for a week so I pulled out the old bucket list and started planning.
 I ended up going to Oklahoma and doing some fly fishing. I have always wanted to fly fish and now I had the opportunity to get away, relax and learn something new.
I brought along a buddy of mine just so we could make fun of each other with all the tangles and beginner casting issues. We hired a guide to show us how this first time and to take us to the best places. Experiencing it for the first time I felt I needed a guide, but now his duties are no longer needed.
I can tell you, there really is nothing like it. I was so concentrated on my casting, placing the fly in just the right spot and watching the little indicator as it quickly floated by that nothing else existed in the world.



I also took a little time in the late evenings and early mornings to sit out enjoy a good book.
On this adventure I chose to bring "Rock Springs" by Richard Ford. It's hard to put this book down. A little slow at the start, but a few pages in and your hooked.
I highly recommend this read on your next outing, you won't be disappointed. 
    

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying some down time. Everyone needs & deserves it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe this means I lead a sad life, but so be it - I just finished reading your entire blog over the last 6 days. You are living the life that my husband and I dream of living! We are planning on building a tiny house or a fully functioning lean-to against my dad's barn in a few years. Right now we rent a small (1600 sq ft) house right on the main highway that goes straight through town. I feel sorry for our neighbors, though... we living like we are in the country and don't get too riled up about the grass getting a little long or a few weeds here and there. It's been refreshing to read through your blog and see how far you and your family have come. It's been fun to peek in at your life in Texas, we have family in Round Rock and hope to get down there someday. For now, you have a Hoosier friend that enjoys living vicariously through you and your fun life! Thanks for letting us have a front row seat! I've loved every post... however, now I don't know what I'll do in the evenings, now that I'm caught up! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cammie,
    I cannot thank you enough for having a "sad life"
    You are one of only a hand full of folks to take the time to read from the beginning. I get emails saying things like, "Your not a homesteader because you travel" or "Your not the real deal" I just tell them to go back and read the whole blog and see what we have done and the struggles we faced.
    Even though I do not blog as often as I used to, I still pop in every week or so to update on whats been going on.
    Thank you again for being part of the family and getting to know me. If you ever need anything please feel free to email me or ask on here.
    Good luck with your Tiny House and your new homestead one day. I can tell you that city living is not for the faint of heart.
    When your down this way, look us up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you all had a good time. I've always wanted to try fly fishing. May have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete