Tuesday, December 16, 2014

In The Dry

For the last two weeks we have been doing what we could on the house. The one problem is, the little house just keeps growing.

 In the beginning it was going to be a simple 500 square foot little, tiny house. Now we are up to about 896 if you include the lofts and the second story.
Two weekends ago me and my dad climbed up on a chilly, windy Saturday morning and shingled the roof. It didn't take us near as long as I thought and I had to call off the help that was coming over later in the day. Pretty impressive for a couple of old men.
Last weekend I was under some pressure. I had to get it in the dry due to the storms coming in on Sunday. High winds would have ripped the roof right off if I could not get the siding up. As you can see, there is nothing out here to stop the wind and a storm with sixty mph winds would have done major damage. So during the week we installed the windows in the front and back, trimmed the shingles and prepped everything for the siding on Saturday. In the end we got it done.
Sunday the rains didn't come in till later so in the morning I started on the second floor porch. This has also grown bigger than planned. Now it will run the full length of the building and overhang to the right three feet. You can see the beginning of it in the picture. A staircase will be down the side of the building and wrap back around to the front.  Go big or go home right? Excessive, maybe but in the end I want to be in a place I can enjoy.

That's all I got for now.
Jerry

25 comments:

  1. oh my! git yer butt up here and help jambaloney build us a beautiful house, with lofts and patios, too! i can't believe how much work you guys have gotten done and i can't wait to see how C decorates it all! kudos to you MDR!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kymber, I should tell you I would have to live with you for a year, LOL

      Delete
  2. Stunning - absolutely stunning!! Well done :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, wait till you see what the inside will look like.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mr. Redneck, just thought I would add my two cents and say that this is one of the coolest projects I have seen in a long time! Outstanding work and a great idea! My best to you and your family this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Rat and a merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  4. J. You guys are doing an amazing job. As Izzy said, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Have been watching you for months. What a neat place you are building. Love the second floor with the porch to be. Even my DH is impressed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tewshooz, The inside will be amazing and the top level porch will be right out of a magazine.

      Delete
  6. MDR - did you have to get a permit to build that? if you did, can you tell me how difficult it was to obtain? much love buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kymber, we live out in the county where you do not have to get permits to build anything like this. You have to get them when you are building in the city limits.

      Delete
    2. thanks buddy! we were wondering if you had to go through a whole pile of rigamarole in order to build your house. our situation is similar....there are codes and such but out in the country - who cares - bahahahahah! you have given us some serious ideas now. thanks so much! and please take pics of the inside so that we can get more ideas and see how C does the place up. much love!

      Delete
  7. It will be cute and cozy when it's done. I'll be excited to see what the inside looks like.
    Have a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you to J&M, we are ready for it to be done now.

      Delete
  8. Perhaps the next time I check in it will be up to 3000 sqft with a swimming pool and three car garage! Projects always seem to escalate for some reason and never go the other way. Looking good. Had I been seeing it for the first time today, I would have never guessed its origins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. I can almost say for sure it wont be that large, but you never know. Once I add in the outdoor kitchen to the left with a fireplace, dining and sitting area then the back part with the hot tub and sauna, yea probably so, 3000 sf

      Delete
  9. Jerry,

    Your place looks amazing! Great work, I so hear you with the rain and wind getting that roof done. We had two tornadoes in OK on Sunday. Be safe while working on your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Connecting two buildings...we have the same dream, but yours is looking much nicer than I imagine our two old trailers will look! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete